Monitoring is an essential part of the internal mechanisms for project management. The Monitoring tool in GMS helps to capture, organize and provide quality information in order to support all stakeholders (particularly HFU and implementing partner) in exercising their tasks and responsibilities with regards to monitoring and reporting
The Monitoring tool will be displayed in the “timelines”-tab in the GMS. The HFU will activate the monitoring instance, fill in the necessary information, and update the recommended actions. The HFU can then send them to the Implementing Partner or Cluster Coordinator, as necessary. An email alert will be sent to the IP/CC based on the party who receives the task.
Activation of MonitoringTop
1. On the Timelines tab, scroll down to the Monitoring Timelines section.
Click on the Add Monitoring button to add a new row in the table to add the monitoring details.
Brief descriptions of the columns present on the Monitoring Timeline(s) table are:
- Monitoring Type (drop down box): Select the type of monitoring which is required.
- Monitoring Name: Displays the name of the monitoring instance. The name will be created only when the monitoring activity has been activated by HFU or by GMS system.
- Due Date (Date box): It defaults to the Project end date
- Active Date (Date box): Define the active date on which the GMS system will activate the monitoring activity in GMS.
- Status: Displays the current status of the monitoring activity.
- Update Detail: Displays the creator and updater user details.
- Action Column: Click on the Delete icon to delete the monitoring request if not yet activated in the system.
After providing the required information, Click on the Save Monitoring Timelines button.
Activation of the Monitoring type can be done by clicking on the Activate button for the selected monitoring type. (Activate button will only be displayed if the project has been approved) or it will be automatically triggered as per the timeline defined.
Note: You can have multiple monitoring types open at the same time and the different types will stay open until the project closes.
2. After a monitoring type has been activated in the GMS system, go to the fund homepage and click on Monitoring Overview icon on the Quick Access dashboard to open the Monitoring overview screen.
To generate a Monitor Overview, select one or more filters from the filters section.
The filters available are
- Select Allocation Year (drop down box): Lists the years of allocation available in the GMS system for the pooled fund.
- Select Allocation Type (drop down box): List of all projects submitted in the GMS system with the allocation type and year for the pooled fund.
- Select Cluster (drop down box): List of clusters defined for the pooled fund.
- Select Organisation Type (drop down box): List of Organisation Type in the pooled fund.(International NGO, National NGO, Other, UN Agency
Based upon the criteria selected above, click the Reload Filters button to load the filtering options below.
- Project Code (text box): Search a project by Project Code (Last 3 digits of project code need to be mentioned)
- Select Organisation (drop down box): List of organisation names registered for the pooled fund.
- Select Admin Location 1(drop down box): Lists the regional locations in the country for which the user is registered for.
- Select Project Duration (drop down box): Lists the duration periods set for the projects in the pooled fund. (1 month to 19 months)
- Select Monitoring Type (drop down box): Lists the Monitoring types available based on the criteria set above.
- Select Monitoring Status (drop down box): Lists the Monitoring statuses available based on the criteria set above.
Then click the Click to filter button to generate the Tasks Overview. To reset the filters, click the Reload Filters button (i.e. Select Allocation Year, Select Allocation Type, Select Cluster, Select Organisation type).
Click the Clear button to reset the entire set of filters. Click on the Back to Results icon to return back to the previously generated Tasks Overview page. (This button will be displayed only if there is a previously generated Tasks Overview page.)
The GMS will display all projects which are active/open for monitoring.
Note: The monitoring instances will no longer be blocked by active project revisions and can now be updated even after the project is closed.
3. Click on the monitoring instance which are showing Project Monitor status as Active to add monitoring information:
- Start Date (date dropdown): Select the date on which the monitoring activity has to be started.
- End Date (date dropdown): Select the date on which the monitoring activity has to end.
- Monitoring Round (dropdown box): Select the applicable monitoring round
- Monitoring Participants: Follow the below mentioned steps to add the monitoring participants. Click on the Add Participant button to add participants.
- Name (Textbox): Enter the participant name.
- Title (Textbox): Enter the participant title.
- Organization (Textbox): Enter the organization name to which the participant belongs to.
- Email (Textbox): Enter the email address of the participant.
- Phone (Textbox): Enter the contact details of the participant.
Click on the Save button to add the participant details. Click on the Edit link to modify the participant details or click on the Delete link to remove the participant from the monitoring list.
- Monitoring Type (Check box): Select the type of monitoring.
- Implementation Progress Result (dropdown box): Select the appropriate implementation progress result.
Note: Implementation Progress Result will be used for scoring the Performance Index of the Implementing Partner.
- List Recommendations/Actions for follow-up: The Recommendations/Actions shown here will also appear at the Progress and Final Narrative reporting phases, thus allowing the IP to update the check-box and put a remark if they have taken the necessary action.
Click on the Add Recommendations/Actions button to add recommendations/Actions.
- Action (Textbox): Enter the action name.
- Responsible for taking action (dropdown box): Select the person responsible for taking appropriate action.
- Is Action Taken (Checkbox): Select the checkbox if the action has been taken by the responsible person.
Click on the Save button to add the details.
Click on the Edit link present at the last column of the “Recommendations/Actions” to update whenever action has been taken:
Click on the Delete link present at the last column of the “Recommendations/Actions” to delete the required Recommendation/Action.
All action points from the monitoring tool will be automatically shown in the Progress and Final Narrative report of the IP.
- If the IP ticks the check box as YES, the action point will turn green both in the reporting module and in the monitoring module. If HFUs do not agree on an action indicated as “taken”, they can always send the report back to the IP with comments - but the system will be in sync at any time.
- The monitoring module workflow has been updated in order to remain editable for HFUs. This is necessary as monitoring is an ongoing process and HFUs may need to update the information about eventual actions taken by the IPs at a later time. Once the monitoring instance has been activated, HFUs will not see any workflow buttons anymore - except for the “save”-button. The “save”-button will allow HFUs to edit the monitoring module as actions are addressed or changed. The module remains editable until the project is closed.
After the HFU has activated the monitoring instance, filled in the necessary information, and updated the recommended actions, the HFU can either send them back to the Implementing Partner or Cluster Coordinator, as deemed necessary or activate the monitoring as complete. An email alert will be sent to the IP/CC based on the party who receives the task.
- Click on the Send to IP for Actions button to send the monitoring recommendation to Implementing Partner for actions.
- Click on the Send to CC for Actions button to send the monitoring recommendation to the Cluster Coordinator for actions.
- Click on the Monitoring Completed button to close the monitoring task.
The IP and CC will have access to update the recommended actions only and no other data. Once done, they should send the monitoring instance back to the HFU. Once the information is verified, the HFU can click on Monitoring Completed button.
Monitoring-Module (instances added for IP)Top
The monitoring instance will be visible on the Agencies/Partners fund landing page. Access to IPs (view only)
Note: Partners will have access to add comments and to update the status of action point/s at the Interim and Final Narrative Reporting-stages):
In the Monitoring instances pop-up, the standard view magnifier icon indicates what is clickable.
If the monitoring template in the GMS is active but no information has been filled in yet, IPs will see it as follows:
If the template is active and includes information, IPs will see the following:
Access to IPs (editable in the Reporting-stage): Action points from the monitoring tool will be automatically shown in the Interim and Final Narrative Report of the IP for updating actions and adding comment.
If there were no actions/recommendations from monitoring, partners view in reporting will be: