- How to access the System Users module
- Managing your own profile / access on GMS
- What information is included in my user’s and profiles section?
- Adding another user role to your primary profile
- How to create a new user role profile?
- How to edit an existing user role profile?
- GMS Focus: How to switch from one GMS user’s role to another after creating/editing your profile?
- How to create a new user role profile?
- GMS tip: 2 very common mistakes you want to avoid while modifying your different user roles/profile details
- Managing someone’s else profile / access on GMS
- GMS Tip: Generating and exporting a list of all registered users on the GMS
I) How to access the System Users module Top
To access the System Users module, follow this navigation:
System Setup -> User Management -> System Users
This section is divided into 2 tabs. The first tab “User details” helps to manage (create/modify) system users. The “User list” can be used both to generate a list of all users and to access another’s user profile information.
II) Managing your own profile / access on GMS Top
Your user details and primary profile information are automatically displayed when you reach the System Users – User Details tab.
You can find below a short description of all elements of this tab.
1- [Click here to add new profile]: this command allows you to create another user profile for a registered user. This is where you need to click if you wish to assign a new role to the user. Please read the full guidance on how to create user profiles carefully before proceeding. It is accessible HERE.
2- User Details section: this section includes the user’s details (name, email address, registration status). These fields are non-editable. If you wish to change your email address or user name, please refer to the guidance in the user registration article, accessible HERE.
3- Profile Details section: this section includes the details of the user profile, e.g. its user role and subsequent rights.
4- Pooled Funds’ User groups: you will find at the bottom of the page the list of Pooled Fund(s) you are registered in and have access to, as well as the user group(s) linked to your access. To view the profile of a specific user group in a specific Pooled Fund, click on [Edit] on the right-hand side of its line.
5- The system displays here the login information pertaining to the user’s details and profiles, including the creation date of the profile displayed, the last login date of the user, and the number of times the user logged in the GMS.
Your User Details include the following information (section 2 of the above screenshot):
Fields description :
• Full names: User's first and last name (non-editable field). Please refer to this article to know more about changing the full name linked to your profile.
• Usernames: User's registered email address (non-editable field). Please refer to this article to know more about changing the email address linked to your profile.
• E-mail: User's registered email address (non-editable field). Please refer to this article to know more about changing the email address linked to your profile.
• Approve (checkbox): This check box indicates whether this user’s registration request has been approved. Please click here to know how to approve a registration request.
• Send Mail Notification on Approval of this user (checkbox): This checkbox indicates whether the user will receive an email notification on registration approval. Please refer to the registration approval guidance to learn more about this.
• Is Active? (checkbox) – This checkbox, if ticked, indicates that this user is active in the system and able to perform functions assigned to this user's group. If unticked, it indicates that the user is not active, and therefore unable to perform any function related to its user group. To learn more about this checkbox, please refer to the guidance: how to deactivate a user’s access to the GMS.
The system allows HFU staff to have several profiles saved under one email address (i.e. one Humanitarian ID user profile). This means that one user can be associated to several user roles, and can switch from a user role to another, with according rights and homepage dashboards.
*Note: Before creating a new profile, please check that it does not already exist! You can check so in the Pooled Funds’ section, at the bottom of the page (section 4 of the above screenshot). If the profile you wish to add already exists, you can edit/update it. (to learn how to edit/update a profile, please refer to this section of the article)
To create a new user role access/profile to your account, click on [Click here to add new profile].
Upon clicking on [click here to add new profile], you will notice that the Profile Details section is now blank and has to be filled in. Fill in the fields as explained below :
Fields Description :
• The Pooled Fund : select the new profile’s associated Pooled Fund
*Please note, you can only create/edit profiles in the GMS Pooled Funds you are registered in. For instance, if you are only registered in GMS Yemen Pooled Fund, you cannot create profiles in a different Pooled Fund. Please contact GMS Support for more information.
• The User group : select the new user group from the drop-down list
• The Business role : this option is only configurable by GMS Admin for the Business Role related to HFU. If you wish to grant a business role to a HFU user profile, please contact GMS support at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org You can learn more about Business Roles HERE.
• ‘Is Primary Group’: If you wish this new user role to be your primary user group, tick the box ‘Is Primary Group’. The Primary User Group is the User Group you set out to be your main user role on the GMS. It is usually the first user role you register as, before you create additional profiles. It is the primary user role which is displayed automatically when accessing the System users - Users Details tab.
• The Organization: If you are creating a profile as a Partner/Agency, select the organization this profile is linked to. If the user is not an Agency/Partner, then this field should be 'Not applicable for OCHA/cluster staff' users.
• The Cluster: If you are creating a profile as a Cluster Lead, please select a specific cluster. If the user is not a Cluster Coordinator, this field should be 'Not applicable for Agencies'.
• Allow workflow mail notification: if you wish the user to receive email notifications from the GMS, tick this box.
• Cluster for notification: This drop-down list is only relevant to Cluster Users profiles. You can select from this list the different clusters which notification you wish to receive by email.
If the Business role ‘restricted cluster lead’ was associated by GMS Support to this user, they will only receive notification related to their associated cluster, regardless of what you select in this list.
Please note, in order for this to work, the checkbox ‘Allow workflow email notification’ must be ticked.
Then, click on [Save Profile] to save your new profile.
You can double check that the profile was created by scrolling down to the according Pooled Fund section below. A new line corresponding to the new user group profile should have been created.
Business Roles exist in the GMS to differentiate access and rights within one user group. There are several Business Roles on the GMS:
Business Roles related to HFU users:
• The Fund Manager Business Role: only granted to Fund Managers, it allows Fund Managers to perform different actions which regular HFU staff do not have rights to do, more specifically, full access to the Case Management Module and the following rights on the Project Timelines: Adding, editing and deleting waivers, Marking/Unmarking the OM Compliant checkbox, Authorizing the Timelines.
• The HFU Program Officer Business Role (Also available to FCS Finance user role): Granted to HFU officers who work on Timelines’ validation on behalf of the Fund Manager. Users linked to this business role can, in the Timelines’ tab of projects, edit a waiver; mark/unmark the OM Compliant checkbox of report/monitoring instances and authorize/un-authorize the Timelines.
• The Compliance HFU team Business Role: Granted to HFU officers who have been assigned the task to follow up and work on fraud / case management. The fraud related mail notification alerts will be sent only to HFU users linked with this business role. This business role is assigned upon request from the Fund Manager and approval from the Oversight and Compliance Unit.
• The HFU GMS Admin Business Role: Granted to HFU officers who have been assigned the task to fill in the relevant information in the COVID app.
• The HFU Risk Management Group Business Role (also available to FCS Finance and OCU user roles): Only users linked to this Business Role can access the Due Diligence module on GMS.
To FCS Finance user role:
• The HFU Program Officer Business Role: Granted to FCS officers who work on Timelines’ validation. Users linked to this business role can, in the Timelines’ tab of projects, edit a waiver; mark/unmark the OM Compliant checkbox of report/monitoring instances and authorize/un-authorize the Timelines.
• The HFU Risk Management Group Business Role (also available to HFU and OCU user roles): Only users linked to this Business Roles can access the Due Diligence module.
• The restricted Cluster Lead Business Role: Granted to Cluster Coordinators, this business role restricts the search of projects in the GMS to those linked to the cluster which is associated to the Cluster Coordinator user. If a user is linked with this Business role, the user will not be allowed to search/access projects from other clusters.
To Agency/Partner user role:
• The Compliance Agency Team Business Role: Granted to the Implementing Partner’s staff who have been assigned the task to fill in and edit the Due Diligence form. Please note, this business role is not currently used in the system, meaning that all Agency/Partners users can fill in and edit the Due Diligence form.
To Oversight and Compliance user role:
• The Compliance CASE manager Business Role: Granted to OCU officers who have been assigned the task to manage fraud / case and are listed as Case Manager in the Partner Portal. This business role grants the access and rights of a Case Manager to the user, i.e. access to the assurance measures and case management modules in both the GMS and the Partner Portal.
• The HFU Risk Management group (also available to FCS Finance and HFU user roles): Only users linked to this Business Roles can access the Due Diligence module.
Before editing your profile, please take a moment to read our GMS tip on the common mistakes to avoid, available HERE.
To edit one of your user role profiles, go to the Pooled Funds section at the bottom after accessing the page.
Make sure to select the User group’s line that you wish to edit in the correct Pooled Fund and click on  of its line, in the ‘Action’ column.
Then, go back to the top of the page, the selected profile should be displayed in the User/Profile’s Details section. Double-check that it is the correct username (in this case, yours) that is displayed in the user details section. Edit the information (for instance, change the organization, as in the screenshot below) and click on [save profile].
*Please note, you can only create/edit profiles in the GMS Pooled Funds you are registered in. For instance, if you are only registered in GMS Yemen Pooled Fund, you cannot create/edit profiles in a different Pooled Fund. To have access to multiple Pooled Funds, please contact GMS Support at this address: email@example.com
One of the most common action to perform on your own user role profiles in the System users – User Details tab is to access a specific cluster / partner organization homepage and view of the GMS.
There is no need to create a new profile for each cluster or for each organization! You can simply edit the user role access you created in the first place.
You will find the guidance below for the two cases mentioned:
To change the cluster, go to System users – Users Details tab, and go down to the Pooled fund section to find your Cluster Lead user role access you wish to edit. Click on  of its line.
Go back up, the information displayed in the ‘Profile details’ section should be your Cluster Leads user role access.
In the Cluster drop-down list, select the cluster you wish to have access to, and then click on [save profile].
Refresh the page, or go back to the homepage, then, switch to your cluster lead user role, the wanted cluster should now be displayed.
To change the cluster, go to System users – Users Details tab, and go down to the Pooled fund section to find your Agency / Partner user role access you wish to edit. Click on  of its line.
Refresh the page, or go back to the homepage, then, switch to your Agency/Partner user role, the wanted Organization should now be displayed.
Once you create and save a new profile, for instance, if an HFU officer creates an Agency/Partner profile, they can switch their GMS view and homepage by selecting the user role in the drop-down list at the top of the GMS.
Important Note: When you add a new role to your HFU access, make sure you refresh the page before selecting it in the “Role” drop-down menu.
*Please note, if, as an HFU logged in with the Agency/Partner user role, you wish to have access to a different Organization than the one currently displayed by the system, you will need to edit the Agency/Partner profile you created, and select the organization you wish to view. This is also valid with the Cluster Leads user role and the specific cluster. Please refer to the section above to know how to change to a different Organization, or to a different Cluster.
1st mistake: ‘Wanting to add a new profile but modifying the user’s own primary HFU user role instead’
How could users make this mistake?
Why is it an issue?
How to avoid it?
What should I do if this happened to me?
2nd mistake : ‘Wanting to delete a user role profile (e.g. Agency/Partner access) but actually ending up deactivating/unapproving the whole access to GMS’
How could users make this mistake?
Why is it an issue?
How to avoid making this issue?
What should I do if this happened to me?
III) Managing someone’s else profile / access on GMS Top
HFU officers have the possibility to edit another user’s profile on GMS. This is for instance required when you wish to approve a user’s registration, to activate/deactivate the user’s profile, to allow the workflow email notifications or to edit the information of the profile in case of a mistake during the registration.
To approve a user’s registration, you will need to filter and access their user details. To do so, you can use either the User’s List tab of the System Users module, or the Online User Registration page.
You will find below guidance on how to access a user’s profile details through both ways.
The Online User Registration page is a list of all pending user registrations. All names on this list are users awaiting their registration approval. To access the Online User Registration page, click on [System Setup] from your homepage menu options.
In the Online User Registration page, click on the username of the user whose registration you wish to approve.
2/ Accessing the user registration request through the User’s List tab
The User’s List tab is part of the System Users Module (which can be accessed through: System Setup > User Management > System User, from the menu bar).
The user list’s tab enables users to generate a list of all registered GMS user of the Pooled Fund you are currently logged in. You can apply filters to the list.
Then click on [Click to Filter] to generate the users’ list.
The Username (far-left column) displays the login ID of the user (their email address). Click on the email address (which contains a hyperlink), to be redirected to the User Details’ tab, allowing you to approve their registration request or edit their profile.
Approving the User Registration
Whether you used the Online Registration Page or the User’s List tab, clicking on the user’s email address will redirect you to the ‘System Users’ page - User Details tab.
Once you are redirected to the “System Users-User Details’ tab, displaying the user’s details and profile’s information, there are 6 steps to approve the user’s registration:
1. Tick the 'Approve' box,
2. Ensure the profile is ticked as 'Active',
3. You can tick the box ‘Send Mail Notification on Approval of the user’ if you wish the user to be notified of this registration approval – please note this only works if the user is registering under Agency/Partner user group (optional),
4. Verify all other profile information is correct,
For example, make sure you select 'Not applicable for OCHA / cluster staff' in the Organization field for any user role that is not Agencies/Partner. For Agencies/Partner, make sure you select the correct organization.
Also, make sure you select 'Not applicable for Agencies' in the Cluster field for any user role that is not Cluster Leads. For Cluster Leads, make sure you select the correct cluster.
*Please note, a user registration request cannot be approved with the role “Others”. When HFUs try to approve a request with “Others” as a user role, the system will display an error message and the registration will not be completed.
If you are in this case, you need to select for the user which user group they belong to. This will be the case for instance, for new HFU staff, as the option to register requesting a HFU role is not displayed in the registration form. Hence, when approving such a registration request, you will need to select for the user the HFU user role.
5. Tick the 'Allow workflow Mail Notifications’ box (optional),
In addition, if the user is a Cluster Leads, you can select from the ‘Cluster for notification’ drop-down list the clusters the user will receive notification from.
6. Then, click on [Save profile].
The user registration is now approved! The user can access their GMS homepage using their Humanitarian ID credentials.
b. EDITING ANOTHER USER’S PROFILE
To edit another user’s profile, you first need to select them by using the User’s list tab of the System Users module.
After applying filters in the search tool and clicking on [click to filter], click on the user’s username (email address) to access and have the possibility to update its information.
By clicking on one of the user’s username (aka email address), the system will redirect you to the Users’ Details tab, now filled with the selected user’s information.
You can edit the information from the Profile details section e.g. you can update the information, allow notifications, approve registration etc. before clicking on [save profile].
Creating a new profile for a specific user is the same process than creating a new profile for your own user account, except that you must first select the specific user, and then click on [add new profile]. To learn more on how to create a profile, please refer to this guidance of the article.
To deactivate another user’s profile, select them from the User’s list tab (to learn how to do so, please refer to this guidance of the article).
*Please be careful not to deactivate your own profile!
Once on the user’s User and Profile details, untick the box ‘Is active’, and click on [save profile]. By unticking the box 'Is Active' and saving, the 'approve' box will automatically be un-ticked.
*Please note that this will deactivate the user’s account, log them out of the GMS, and prevent them from logging back in the GMS.
• When a user registers for the first time and submits his/her registration, the user is "active" but "not approved". At this stage, a user can only access the registration page and nothing else in the application.
• On approval of the user's registration, the user is "active" and "approved" (i.e. both checkboxes are checked). Once the user is approved, the user can access GMS based on the permissions assigned to his/her role.
* By unticking the box 'Is Active' and clicking on [save], the 'Approve' checkbox is automatically un-ticked.
• When the user is neither "active" nor "approved", the user cannot access anything in GMS (including the registration submission page). User cannot perform any action on the system. On login the user is displayed the following message:
IV) GMS tip: generating and exporting a list of all approved users of the GMS Top
To generate a list of all registered users of the GMS in your Pooled Fund, go to the System Users module, User’s List tab.
You can apply the below filters to the list.
The filters available are:
• Agency (drop down box): List of all partner organizations in the pooled fund.
• User Group (drop down box): List of all user groups available in the pooled fund.
• Search (text box): You can enter a name or email address to filter one specific user.
Then click on [Click to Filter] to generate the users’ list.
• User name: Displays the email address used as the HID username login. You can click on this user name to access this user’s profile information.
• Full name: Displays the user’s full name.
• Organization: If relevant, displays the Partner Organization the user is linked to.
• User group: Displays the role linked to the user.
• Is primary user group: This column will indicate if the said user group is the user’s primary user group. Please note that this list is a list of all PROFILES. This means that a single user who has several user role profile accesses (e.g. a HFU staff with Cluster Leads and Agency/Partner accesses) will be listed several times, as many times as their number of profiles created.
• Cluster: If relevant, displays the Cluster this user is linked to.
• Is Approved: Indicates whether this user’s registration request has been approved or not.
• Created date: Indicates the profile’s creation date.
• Last login date: Indicates the user’s last login date.
The displayed user list can be exported in an excel format by clicking on [Export All Users List].
If you applied filters to the list, only the filtered users will be exported, with their related information, as they appear on the list.